Recipes

Monday, March 12, 2012

Oatmeal pancakes

Oatmeal pancakes!
Day 5 of the 7 Day Oatmeal Challenge:

Today I wanted to do a healthy twist on pancakes. I love pancakes and you already know I LOVE oatmeal so why not combine the two? Plus, plain pancakes, even though they taste OH SO GOOD are NOT good for you. I mean: white flour, sugar, and syrup....those do not sound like good material for the abs I am working at getting. Here are my AB-ilicious oatmeal pancakes. I combined two separate recipes for optimum flavor and even created my own pumpkin pie spice syrup. Why not get in a few extra antioxidants while we're getting our extra whole grain for the day?
I made these pancakes a couple of weeks ago and knew for sure that I wanted to share them on here. I did forget to take a picture of mine before diving in and eating so I found one as close as I could!


Here's what you need:

1/2 cup oatmeal
3/4 cup oat flour (see how to make this in my previous blog)
1 cup skim milk
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
2 tbsp vegetable oil (canola, grapeseed, coconut, or something of your choice)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp sugar (or substitute in agave, honey, or maple syrup)

What to do:
Pulse everything together in a blender or stir by hand. Once everything is mixed well, pour 1/4 cup batter onto a well heated griddle or non stick pan. Continue cooking until well browned on both sides.

Pumpkin Pie Syrup:
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tsp maple syrup
1/2 a small can of pumpkin
Pumpkin pie spice to taste

Mix sugar and water and bring to a boil. Then allow it to simmer. Add in maple syrup, pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir until smooth and allow to simmer again. Serve warm or chill. Store in air tight container for up to 3 weeks.

These are like a healthy guilty pleasure, especially the syrup! I store the syrup and use it on my oatmeal or sometimes in my smoothies when I get the taste for it. Hope you enjoy! Only 2 more days left of the 7 day oatmeal challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment