Recipes

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Homemade Oatmeal Mix: Never buy oatmeal packets again!

I must say that I'm so glad I stumbled across the blog that had homemade oatmeal mix. I use this recipe all the time!
I used to buy this for my husband ALL the time:
But I did not like the fact that they put a bunch of artificial flavorings/ colorings in it.
Nor did I like the fact that he had to eat 2 packets to get one serving/ feel satisfied and this doubled the calories! (The packets only have about 130 calories each, but since they only have a tiny bit of oats and the rest is flavor/ filler you do not get as full).
Also they are ripping you off for the convenience, because the cost to make your own is much cheaper.

So I read the blog and decided to make my own! I was super pleased at how easy this was to make and at how much my husband LOVED it! He know longer asks me to buy the oatmeal packets. It is also super convenient because he can measure out 1/2 cup of the mix, 1 cup water, and pop it in the microwave for 90 secs all by himself. My helpful hubby has evolved...he can make his own breakfast and snack!

Here's what to add to a large bowl:

FYI: I always make a batch and a half and it gives you about 24 servings. I will put those measurements in the parenthesis.

6 cups quick-cooking oats (9 cups)
1 1/3 cups nonfat dry milk powder (2 cups)
1/4 cup sugar (5/8 cup)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon salt ( 1 1/2 tsp)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (1 1/2 tbsp)
1 cup chopped dried fruit, optional



Mix everything together, making sure to break up any brown sugar balls, then put into an old oatmeal container and enjoy when you feel like it! I keep this container on top of the fridge with the cereals so we're not confused between the oatmeal mix and the regular oats (you could always label it though).
Yup I store it in one of these old containers!




Problems that were fixed:
No artificial add-ins
Calories for a REAL serving (1/2 cup): 159 calories! Not bad for a tasty breakfast/ treat!
Cost: Making your own is cheaper. When I calculate the cost, I will post the exact price per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment