Recipes

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

DIY Cleaners GALORE: baby friendly and shower cleaner!

Today I went crazy....my house was a wreck after this weekend. We went fishing, had my parents over, and relaxed a bit so absolutely NO cleaning got done. YIKES! The house was not looking good. I love my all-purpose homemade cleaner that I made and I use it all over my kitchen. Like when my husband cleaned those nasty trout that we caught in my kitchen sink....yeah he DID do that. I sprayed my cleaner every where and wiped EVERYTHING.

Today, when I went running (I actually made it 3 miles...super proud of myself!) I was thinking about trying a cleaner specific to the bathroom and then a 100% baby-friendly cleaner that was super powerful. I mean you know how it is with kids...they put everything, literally everything in their mouths. So I wanted to make sure that whatever my little one puts in his mouth is disinfected and chemically safe.

Here's the little cutie and he surprisingly has nothing in his mouth!
I came up with two cleaners:
The baby-friendly cleaner: So simple and so safe!

What You Need:
A clear plastic spray bottle (got a bunch (4)of them at the dollar store...for yup that's right....$1 a piece)
An opaque spray bottle (I used an old 409 bottle) 
Vinegar
Water
Tea Tree oil
Hydrogen Peroxide

What To Do:
Fill the clear plastic bottle with half vinegar, half water. Next add 10-20 drops tea tree oil depending on the size of your bottle. I used 10 because my bottle is average size. 
Pour your hydrogen peroxide into the opaque bottle (This bottle must be opaque and kept out of the sunlight otherwise the hydrogen peroxide will lose its chemical makeup and no longer be effective). 

What this Does:
After some research on the internet for baby safe homemade cleaners, I found out that when used together, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide are two of the most powerful disinfectants. But you CANNOT, absolutely DO NOT, combine the two in one bottle. When combined they create a toxic chemical compound. You can spray either the hydrogen peroxide first or the vinegar first, then wipe it up and spray the other product. You can also soak toys in a water/ vinegar solution, rinse them, and then spray them with hydrogen peroxide and rinse them off. 
2 reasons why I know these are safe cleaners for babies:
1. You cook with vinegar, preserve foods with vinegar, and could probably drink it but I don't recommend that.
2. Hydrogen peroxide is used on open wounds and to clean canker sores in a mouth.
All 3 of my cleaners: All purpose cleaner, baby-friendly cleaner, and shower cleaner

Cleaner 2: Shower Cleaner!

I found this cleaner on Pinterest and pinned it to my cleaning board to try later. Today, I actually had some extra time while Lil M was sleeping and decided to check out the cleaner. The pinner had written, "I will never use soft scrub, comet, etc. again." Based on that, I knew, just KNEW, that I had to try this. It led me to a super cute blog and a recipe for this Super Cleaner. I tweaked it to my liking, since I like to ever leave things as they are. I love to experiment. 

What You Need:

Vinegar
Dawn: the blue kind
Tea tree oil
Water (optional)
Thickening Agent (optional): I used guar gum, but you can also use corn starch

What to Do:

The original recipe says to heat your vinegar, but I wanted to try it without heating it because I probably won't heat the solution every time I use it. So I heated it by running it under hot water for a few minutes, but it DOES work without warming it. I tried it on one shower without it being warm and on the other shower when it was warm and it worked the same.

A) 1 part vinegar to 1 part dawn soap: so fill half the bottle (minus the neck) with vinegar and then add dawn to double it. 
B) Add 10 drops Tea tree oil
C) Here is where your options come in: You can add a thickening agent to the vinegar and use less dawn. I used guar gum (but you can use corn starch also). You would only add a couple of tablespoons until it reached a thick consistency. If you do thicken your vinegar then cut the amount of dawn soap in half. You mainly want to thicken the vinegar so that it does not run right off the shower walls. You want it to set in and work its magic. 
D) Mix everything together in the bottle until dissolved.
E) Spray on shower and let it set for at least 30 minutes. Then give it a rinse, wipe with your sponge or rag, and rinse again. (I also pre-spray my grout with hydrogen peroxide to make sure no mold is trying to sneak in).

 I also added hot water to mine to heat up the vinegar (just a little bit in the neck of the bottle). I used about 3/4 of the dawn soap and 1 tblsp guar gum. This worked like a charm! It worked so well that I tried it on my counter tops and it was amazing! It left no filmy residue which my soft scrub does sometimes if I don't rinse it well enough. I am officially making the switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment