Recipes

Thursday, March 8, 2012

7 Day Oatmeal Challenge!

One thing I need to say before I get started: I LOVE, no I am OBSESSED with OATMEAL!!
4 Reasons: It's cheap, it's healthy, it's versatile, and it tastes great if you know what to do with it!
I love it for more reasons than just the ones above, but these are the main 4 reasons.

Because of my oatmeal addiction, I decided to do a 7 Day Oatmeal Challenge.
This challenge means:
I will use oatmeal in at least 1 meal a day and post the recipe on here. Of course you're thinking that I could just post a different breakfast oatmeal recipe everyday, but I will NOT do that. These will be creative uses for oatmeal. Here is my first oatmeal inspired dinner:

Oatmeal Meatloaf: there's a little bit of a story behind this meatloaf. My husband loves meatloaf. But there's one little problem: he loves beef meatloaf and I rarely, I mean RARELY cook with beef. I'm all about the poultry products. I know I can always find a turkey or chicken substitute for beef. Because of this, I make my meatloaf with ground turkey. I do this because it's leaner, less fatty, and better for you. The first time I made meatloaf for my husband he basically gave it a BIG thumbs down. When I asked how it tasted, I received a shoulder shrug and a mumbled, "It's okay." In my book, that's a polite way of saying, "Yuck, terrible, or thumbs down." After further probing, he shared that it did not have the same flavor as beef, was too mushy of a consistency, and overall just couldn't compete. So I set out on a little adventure to make a meatloaf that could rival his oh-so-beloved all beef favorite. 

Here's what I used:
1/2 a package ground turkey (93/7....I usually like to use 85/15, but in my stores all they carry is 93/7)
1/2 a package ground pork (lean)
1/2 of a small onion chopped or 1/4 of a large onion
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
3/4 cup of my favorite bbq sauce (I use Organic Ville original because I'm allergic to other sauces, but your favorite will be just as tasty)
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 to 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (depends on how spicy you want it)
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp mustard
1 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup applesauce w/ 1/2 tsp baking powder OR 2 servings of egg beaters (DO NOT USE BOTH)* 

*I use the applesauce w/ the baking powder in place of the eggs because I have an egg allergy. Applesauce will bind the same way an egg does, but if you prefer egg you can use 2 egg whites or 1 egg.
Ingredients

Same stuff. This picture just includes the oatmeal
meat and onions

shaped into a loaf!

 What to do:

Preheat oven to 350. Chop your onion. Then add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix very well. Once it is mixed place on a baking sheet (covered w/ foil and sprayed w/ pam) and mold it into the shape of a loaf. Cook in the oven for 50 mins or until juices run clear. Then put ketchup or barbecue sauce on top and place back in oven for 5 more mins. Now eat!

I forgot to take a picture of the finish product because we were so hungry that we dived right in. Come back tomorrow for the 2nd day of the oatmeal challenge!
*This recipe should serve 6 people and is roughly 287 calories per serving w/ ketchup or bbq sauce on top. If you want less calories you can use an entire package of ground turkey instead of half pork/ half turkey.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment