Recipes

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Oatbread! Finally!!

Day 7 of the 7 Day Oatmeal Challenge
Cinnamon oat flour bundt cake!

I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!!

I finally finished my oatmeal challenge and I FINALLY conquered the oat flour bread! This oat flour bread has been long overdue and giving me fits for some time (I guess a week to be exact). But no more, I now know how to successfully cook gluten free oat flour bread and actually have it taste good and not crumble. Go me! Now to share it with you!




The crazy thing is I adapted this recipe from a cornbread recipe thinking that cornmeal and oat flour kind of have the same properties. Each of them needs another flour added to the mixture to create a rising agent. I was able to change the cornbread recipe to my liking and got a great tasting cake. You can use any pan you would like, but I chose the bundt pan because I think it looks fun, cleans easily, and doesn't make a mess when I pour the bread mix into it.

What you need:
1 1/2 cups oat flour
1 cup tapioca flour (or a flour of your choice. I chose something gluten free because my Aunt cannot have gluten and she frequently reads my blog. This is for you Auntie Beth!)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup plain yogurt
3 eggs or egg beaters
2 tbsp melted butter
1/3 cup maple syrup or honey

What to do: VERY simple
Preheat oven to 350. Combine all of the dry ingredients and mix them well. Combine all of the wet ingredients and whisk them until smooth. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until combined. Do not over mix or the cake will become rubbery. Grease bundt pan and pour mixture into pan. Cook in oven for 20 to 25 mins until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 

You can choose to glaze it or I just chose to eat it with sliced bananas and honey. It is delicious! It is moist and has a nice cake taste. You could easily adapt this recipe to create a savory cake/ bread instead of a dessert cake by adding different spices. Enjoy it how it is or experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment