Recipes

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Homemade Tortillas

Day 4 of the 7 Day Oatmeal Challenge:

Yummy and Easy!
  • I know you read the title Homemade Tortillas and you're probably wondering what those have to do with oatmeal. But that beautiful tortilla in the picture to the right was made with part oat flour/ part wheat flour! I must say I was extremely proud of myself for making these tortillas

  • So why make tortillas when you can buy them at the store? In my case, it's mostly because of the cost. I have a corn allergy and have to buy all natural whole wheat or spelt tortillas which cost a LOT more than your usual tortilla at your regular grocery store. At my local health food store, spelt tortillas cost $4.99 for a package of 8. My only other option is to drive across town to Whole Foods and pay roughly $3.50 for a package of 8 (if I factor in gas/ driving time these cost almost the same as the spelt tortillas!). But wait, I have ONE more option and that is to make my OWN! This process was actually easy and I came out with tasty, healthy, whole grain tortillas that probably cost about $.50 for the 10 that I made.
 What I did: I researched a lot of different recipes and finally found one I liked. I did not want to spend the time making these and they not taste good. Then I made my oat flour. Whatever you do, do NOT buy oat flour at the store. It can range anywhere from $4-$11 and you can make it for just cents at home. All you need is oatmeal and a food processor, grinder, or blender. Pop your oats in the machine of your choice and blend!


 What you need:
1/2 cup bread flour
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup oat flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 oil of your choice (I used grapeseed, but olive, canola, or anything you want will work)
1 1/4 boiling water

Super easy so far!
dough ball!


Starting to bubble...almost ready to flip

Cooked pile...with a few already eaten! My 100% oat flour tortilla is peeking out in the corner.


What to do:
1. Mix the flours and salt together.
2. Add in the oil and mix again.
3. Begin pouring in boiling water and keep mixing. A wet dough will form and be a little sticky
4. At this point you can either form 10 small balls (racquetball size) or you can leave your dough in a big ball (I left mine in a big ball). Cover your balls and let them sit for an hour.
5. When the hour is almost up, preheat griddle to 400 degrees or non stick pan to about 8. Lightly grease pan.
6. After the hour, roll dough out on a lightly floured surface. Roll them as thin as possible otherwise they will be very dense because of the whole wheat and oat flour. You can use anything for a rolling pin! I used a bottle of rice vinegar because it was the size I wanted
7. Toss the rolled out tortilla in the pan and let it cook on each side for just over 30 secs. You will know when to flip when the tortillas start to bubble. You want them to have little brown flecks on them. See pictures above!


*A couple of hints: Next time I make these I will maximize my time and make a lot and freeze them! I usually end up freezing my store bought tortillas because we do not eat them fast enough so this will be no different. Also be sure to finely grind your oats. I had a few oat grains in my tortillas, but this did not bother me.

*Next time I make these I do plan on cutting out the bread flour and just doing whole wheat and oat flour. I made one tortilla completely out of oat flour, but it came out very grainy and bland. It would need some type of seasoning if you wanted to make one. If you want a 100% gluten-free tortilla you could mix the oat flour with some other flour like almond or corn.

100% oat flour tortilla on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment