Recipes

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Oatmeal Banana Springrolls!

Day 3 of the 7 Day Oatmeal Challenge:


Up close!
Doing the challenge was a little more difficult today only because I wasn't feeling well. My baby bear has had a cold for the past couple of days and decided to so generously give it to me. My first thought for the next oatmeal challenge was make a fresh loaf of oat flour bread. I did a little research and what I found basically said it's impossible to make an entire loaf out of oat flour. Based on my research, various websites said oat flour will not work because it is gluten free and has no leavening agents. I thought that I could fix this problem by adding yeast, baking powder and an egg. Boy was I wrong!!!! I baked my loaf of oat flour bread and it did not rise one bit! It looked exactly the same when I took it out as when I put it in the oven. It basically had no flavor and was very crumbly. I decided it was a bust and that I would try a different oatmeal recipe instead. I went with adapting a banana spring roll recipe and I must say it turned out delicious!! It's nice to know that I can have dessert and fit in an extra serving of whole grains and fiber.

I scaled my recipe down to serve 4 instead of 6, but you can find the recipe I adapted it from here.

What you need:
4 spring roll wrappers
2 mashed bananas
1 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp honey
powdered sugar
oil for frying
2 tbsp flour/ 2 tbsp water (flour paste for closing spring rolls)

What to do:
 1. Begin heating oil to about 300 degrees F in a pot. Take your spring rolls out of the freezer and let them thaw
 2. Mix the oatmeal, applesauce, bananas, honey, and chocolate chips.
 3. Microwave this mixture for about 30 secs to 1 min (until chocolate chips are melted and oatmeal consistency has changed a little)
 4. Lay the spring rolls in front of you like a diamond. Take the mixture and place 1/4 of it in the corner of each spring roll and spread it out in a line. Then begin rolling the spring roll up folding in the corners as you go until it is nice and neat. Seal each end with the flour paste.
5. When your oil is fully heated, carefully place the spring rolls in the oil. Cook for 3 mins each side until golden brown. Remove from oil and place on plate covered with a paper towel.
6. Slice each spring roll in half and drizzle with chocolate sauce and powdered sugar.
7. I did not have melting chocolate for my sauce so I mixed chocolate chips and milk and melted them in the microwave (so middle school, I know)

Eat your dessert and enjoy knowing that you have extra whole grains in that chocolatey deliciousness!


1 comment:

  1. MMMM. This looks devine. yumm!!
    PS. I use the smartrunner app. Works great...most of the time! :)

    ReplyDelete