Recipes

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Homemade chicken nuggets!

Day 6 of the 7 Day Oatmeal Challenge:

Wow! I can't believe I'm one day away from finishing my 7 day oatmeal challenge. I have almost done it and it has NOT been easy. I feel like so many things were stacked against me this week. My son got sick, then he gave it to me, I started my new tutoring job, and was co-planning/ co-hosting a baby shower today. Needless to say I am EXHAUSTED! When you have a sick baby, there is no sleeping. On top of all of these things, I picked this week to do the challenge so there was no stopping somewhere to get a quick dinner or lunch, but I feel accomplished for sticking to it. Since all of this craziness has been happening, I have been craving comfort food. What better than homemade chicken nuggets? These were so easy to make it was almost a joke. It was way easier than getting in the car, driving to fast food place or restaurant, and ordering nuggets. The great thing about these is they're healthy, low-calorie, and can easily be paired with any type of vegetable.


Ready for the ease of this recipe? I adapted it from this idea.

Marinate Chicken
Mix flour!

Cook in pan and flip when golden

Enjoy!


Here's what you need:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
1 cup oat flour (1 1/2 cups oatmeal)
1 garlic clove minced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4  grated Parmesan cheese

What to do:

1. Cube your chicken into nugget-sized chunks
2. Place chicken in a ziploc with 2 tbsp yogurt and season to taste (I usually marinade chicken in salt, pepper, garlic, onion). Let chicken soak for as long as you would like or as long as it takes you to make the breading
3. Heat a thin layer of oil in skillet to medium heat. You want it hot enough to cook the chicken all the way through, but not burn the breading
4. Combine oatmeal, garlic, salt, pepper, onion, paprika, cheese, and Italian seasoning in food processor, blender or grinder and blend pulse together until smooth. Place mixture in bowl.
5. Take chicken from ziploc and roll one piece at a time in flour mixture and place in pan. Do this to all chicken. When chicken is golden brown on one-side, flip it over and brown the other side. When they are golden remove and place on plate lined with paper towel to soak up and extra oil. Serve with your favorite sauce and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment