Recipes

Monday, July 16, 2012

Kick-butt super food smoothie!

So lately, I have been OBSESSED with this smoothie I created. I think it may have to do with the fact that I finally caved in and let the hubby buy us a legit, commercial blender. I love, love, love my new blender. I at least make 1 sometimes 2 smoothies a day and have really been needing this blender. About 2 weeks ago, we were browsing through Costco (very bad idea) and they had the blender display for the Blendtec. I had already been debating about whether or not to get a Vitamix, but after watching this display and weighing the pros and cons......I was pretty much powerless to not buying it. SO here it is loaded up with delicious, healthful, protein and vitamin packed ingredients:

Yum!

But before I give the recipe, here's the rest of the story. Last week the hubsters and I decided to start Insanity. For some crazy reason (I think weight loss, abs, and more toned muscles) we wanted to do it and finish by my birthday. Well, we have one week down and I must say I'm pretty proud of us! We kicked butt this week and did about 5 Insanity workouts and the other two days when we didn't have time we did a bodyrock.

On top of working out we've been setting weekly goals for ourselves. Last week was drink more water and I'd say I did about 80% of what I wanted. This week is no eating after 7 pm. Yikes! I guess that means going to bed earlier. 

When I finally climbed on the scale (my nemesis) yesterday, I had lost a pound. I had hoped for more, but maybe that means I'm building muscle. In lieu of this, I will stick to my workouts, goals, and super amazing smoothies.

Here's the recipe (nothing complicated, but yet OH SO unbelievably Fabulous and Nutritious):

5 oz orange juice
5 oz almond milk (or soy, coconut, or dairy)
1 scoop whey protein
Flax seed (optional/ as much or as little as you want)
1/2 a cucumber w/ or w/out skin
2 to 3 handfuls spinach leaves
1/2 an avocado (this is optional for me based on the price of avocados)
1/2 a cup frozen blueberries
1/2 a cup frozen strawberries (or roughly 5)
1 frozen banana

If you have a superhuman blender like I do, put ingredients in as they specify, push the button and walk about. About 40 secs later you will have a perfectly blended smoothie.

This makes enough for 2 adults to have 1 1/2 glasses (16 oz) and a baby to have a 9 oz sippie cup....I know, I know my munchkin is greedy, BUUUTT it's healthy so I don't mind. With the avocado a serving size (1--16 oz glass) has about 250 calories. So without avocado it would be a little less. I typically drink it as a meal replacement or snack replacement which is why I drink 1 1/2 glasses.

Try it out and get to blending!

Another pic of my beautiful blender and smoothie creation!

Glass size!





No comments:

Post a Comment