Recipes

Monday, May 28, 2012

Cutting Your Grocery Bill in Half: Part 2

Have you been paying attention to prices and the sale's ads? If you've been doing your homework, then you should have a good working tabulation of different prices in your mind. Or if you can't remember it all use old receipts. That always helps me!

Recap from the previous post:
  • Pay attention to prices.
  • Make a list of ONLY what you need and the items that are on sale that you would buy.
  • Remember when buying sale items their expiration, if they can be frozen, or if you have storage for any multiples you buy. 
  • Stick to your list!
  • Decide if you will go to multiple stores or price match at your favorite store.
More tips:

8th: A few things to keep in mind when you're shopping is do you really need it, do you only buy a certain name brand, and are you just buying it for convenience.

This is what I mean:
  • When I first started shopping, I was looking for things I needed to cut of the grocery list. Because I buy a lot of fresh fruits, veggies, and meats (fruits and veggies being the hardest to buy in bulk for longer storage), I knew that some things were going to have to get off my grocery list. I started looking at items that weren't really necessary like pretzels, granola bars, goldfish, cereal, and other snack foods. I mean do I really need those snack foods? They definitely don't help my figure, most of them aren't good for you, and they were keeping me from snacking on healthy foods. Now don't cut everything out! I did keep some things. I do buy yogurt, string cheese, and usually keep one box of cereal for my husband. YOU have to decide what things are a necessity and what things you just like to keep around.
  • Do you buy things out of convenience? I was INSANELY guilty of this one when I revamped my shopping. Here were a few things I bought out of convenience: baby carrots, instant oatmeal packets, 100 calorie packs of snacks, granola bars, packages of the cut and washed fresh broccoli/ veggies (this came from being in college), and many other things. Carrots are a great snack and baby carrots are VERY convenient. I read somewhere though that baby carrots are the reject carrots that are disfigured and ugly that the produce companies peel and cut down to look more aesthetically appealing. Then they charge you extra! I no longer buy baby carrots. When I come home from grocery shopping I prep all of my fresh produce. I peel and cut my carrots up for snacks. I wash and cut my lettuce and store it in plastic bags. I wash and freeze any fruit that I need to and so on. I also started making my own instant oatmeal, my own granola bars, and if I need snacks buying the bigger bag and putting them in smaller bags. 
  • Do you only buy name brand? I was guilty of this also....a lot! Actually this drove my husband nuts that I would never buy the store brand for some items. Now I'm not saying only buy the store brand because there are some things where I do NOT think you should compromise just to get a lower price. I still only buy a certain brand of toilet paper and tissue. I am willing to try some store brands for things like trash bags, ziplocs, cheeses, milk, etc. I'm always willing to try it once and if it doesn't live up to the name brand that I like, then I just buy more of that item when it goes on sale. 
Is this appearing a little more manageable?


9th: Consider making things at home: optional...not needed to lower your bill
  • I make my own cleaners: these are so easy...most of them consist of vinegar, water, borax, or washing soda. These items are cheap and last forever as opposed to the store made cleaners that can have toxic chemicals and cost a ton!
  • Here is my rule for making something at home: the amount of money I save must be comparable to the amount of time I spend making it. 
*Consider the last two tips and make any adjustments to your list! Come back in a few days for the last few things you need to know to cut your grocery bill in half or more!

No comments:

Post a Comment